ATHLETE OF THE MONTH

Marlene Sinnig (l) and Kerstin Hartmann from Germany celebrate  their silver medal in the Women's Double Sculls at the 2009 Rowing World  Cup in Lucerne, Switzerland. MyRowingphoto.com

ATHLETE OF THE MONTH

Experience what is going on inside an elite athlete’s mind

Marlene Sinnig - February 2010

Nationality:

Germany (GER)

Boat Class:

W2-, W4-, W8+
Key Results: Rowing World Cup - 1 gold, 3 silver, 3 bronze
European Championships - 1 silver
World Under 23 Regatta - 1 gold
World Rowing Junior Championships - 1 silver
Marlene Sinnig (l) and Kerstin Hartmann from Germany celebrate  their silver medal in the Women's Double Sculls at the 2009 Rowing World  Cup in Lucerne, Switzerland. MyRowingphoto.com
The  German crew of (s-b) Marlene Sinnig and Kerstin  Hartmann compete in  the Women's Pair Semi final on day five of the World Rowing  Championships on August 27, 2009 in Poznan, Poland, on the Malta Race  Course.  (Photo by John Gichigi/Getty Images)
The  German Women's Pairs with Kerstin Hartmann (b) and Mariene Sinnig (s)  competing at the 2009 Rowing World Cup in Lucerne, Switzerland.
POZNAN, POLAND - AUGUST 23:  Kerstin Hartmann (L) and Marlene  Sinnig of German relax as they prepare to compete in the Women's Pair  during day one of The World Rowing Championships on August 23, 2009 in  Poznan, Poland.  (Photo by John Gichigi/Getty Images)
The German Women's Pairs with Kerstin Hartmann (b) and Marlene  Sinnig (s) celebrate their bronze medal at the 2009 Rowing World Cup in  Munich, Germany.

PART I

8 February 2010

Marlene Sinnig of Germany has done the classic elite rowing build up. She made the junior national team as a 17-year-old, went on to row at the under-23 level before transitioning into the senior ranks five years ago. Marlene has remained a sweep rower for this entire time, predominantly in her country’s eight but last year she became part of Germany’s top pair rower, in stroke position. Marlene finished the 2009 season in fourth place despite holding down a job and studying. World Rowing gets to know this stunning athlete and shares her February with you.

World Rowing: Tell us a bit about your background in rowing.
Marlene Sinning:
When I was 12 or 13 years old, my parents and I were visitors at a regatta where my younger brother had a competition. Suddenly his coach came to me and asked me if I wanted to start rowing! I said maybe, because I was very much into volleyball and I did not have any time for another sport. A few weeks later I was sitting in a skiff and that's when I started rowing. I was first impressed by all the young people who did the same moves and looked the same way and, of course, I loved the fact that rowing is an open air and water sport.

WR: Does anyone else in your family row?
MS:
Not any more. My younger brother stopped rowing when he was 14 or 15 years old.

WR: Are you a full-time athlete?
MS:
No, I'm not a full time athlete at all. Two years ago I started an apprenticeship to become a medical technician and every day I have to go to school or to the laboratory for almost eight hours.

WR: Where are you this month?
MS:
At the moment I'm in Dortmund. It's not my hometown, but I have been living here since 2007. I'm going to stay here till the end of the month and then I will go to Breisach for a training camp.

WR: What is the main training focus this month?
MS:
Hmm, let me think. I would say the main focus is getting better and faster:). We are doing almost the same as every month: rowing outdoors and indoors, doing some weight training, aerobics and cycling.

WR: What are you looking forward to most this month?
MS:
Last weekend we had a 2,000m erg test at the European Open, but it was not that good for me. So far there's nothing coming up in the next weeks.

WR: What is your best 2,000m erg test?
MS:
My best is 6:54min. The first time I rowed it was in 2005, after that I always have done 6:55 min. But last year, one day before our long distance test, I did again the 6:54 min!

WR: Do you have a favourite workout?
MS:
Yes, I'm very much into weight training and aerobics but if Kerstin Hartmann is here (my pair mate) I love to row with her.

WR: You have swapped between racing in the eight and in the pair. Which boat do you prefer?
MS:
It's not an easy question, both classes are great. In the pair you can't hide behind your mates and you feel every mistake you make, the same way you feel it when you pull more and more and the boat starts to run. In the eight it's great to be a part of the team and pushing the boat together towards the finish line.

WR: So far in your rowing career what race is the biggest memory for you?
MS:
Oh, rowing in the pair together with Kerstin. Every race is great and we have a lot of fun. Even we didn't expect to be that good at the beginning of the season, so that's why we were surprised after we had finished our races. But I think the most important race was the Rowing World Cup in Munich (2009) when we had to race against the other German pair Nina Wengert and Katrin Reinert. This race decided who was going to be in the pair until the World Championships in Poznan.

WR: If you could have dinner with any athlete who would you choose?
MS:
Of course I would choose my boyfriend Toni Seifert (he's from the German men’s eight 2009).

WR: If you weren’t rowing what do you think you would be doing?
MS:
I think I would do some other sport, definitely! I can't live without sport and I'm very interested in a number of sports. But if not, I would probably be a mother.

WR: What do you like to do when you’re not rowing?
MS:
My alternatives are not that big. I have the choice between learning and sleeping after I come home late at night. The other few minutes of my spare time I spend with my boyfriend.

WR: Where is your most favourite place to row?
MS:
Last year we were in Weissensee (Austria) for the first time and it was great, I have never had such a good time in a training camp. But for competition, I like Munich and Lucerne the most.





. And here is the rest of it.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου