Rising star

Stergios PAPACHRISTOS (GRE)

Birth Date
26/01/1989
Hobbies
music, watching soccer on TV
Country
GRE
Place of Residence
Volos
Sex
male
Coach
Gianni Postiglione, Kostas Kamenos
Civil Status
Single
Actual Club
OEA NAB Volos
Language for Interviews
Greek
Height
192cm, 6ft/4inch

Interview with Stergios PAPACHRISTOS

A fast five minutes with Greece’s Stergios Papachristos
Stergios Papachristos of Greece is 21, soon to turn 22, but he already has an impressive track record at under-23 and senior level. An under-23 World Champion in the men’s pair in 2009, he went on to win World Championship silver at senior level in the men’s four in 2010 and 2011. He is also a two-time European Champion. Papachristos revealed more about himself to World Rowing.
My sporting hero is… Steve Redgrave.
I row because… rowing is popular in Volos, the city I come from. I practiced quite a few other sports before starting rowing but once I tried it, I loved it. It’s powerful and I love the competition, it’s just like real life.
My goal in rowing is… to participate in the Olympic Games, of course, and achieve the best possible result.
On the erg, I listen to… any kind of music. I don’t have a favourite type of music; it all depends on my state of mind.
I’m most relaxed when… I can ride my motorbike or when I drink coffee with friends and listen to music.
My least favourite training session is… the erg.
My favourite training sessions are… on the water and doing weights.
2k or 5k on the ergo? 2k of course!
My favourite boat to row is… the men’s four.
Scull or sweep? Both, but with a preference for sweep.
My toughest race was… last year in Karapiro, in the men’s four. I had been racing at under-23 level in the single and went back into the four. I did not have enough time to switch from sculling to sweep rowing. It was really hard work and a hard race but we rowed a “dream race” in Karapiro, won a medal and I deleted all the bad moments from my memory.
A typical day… Wake-up call at 7:00 for breakfast. Training from 8:30 to 11:30, maybe 12:00. Lunch and then some sleep - we have an hour for ourselves so we can go for a walk or do something else. From 17:00 to 20:00 or 20:30 training, mostly off water. We then eat, relax and go to bed around 23:00.
I’m motivated by… my family and good friends.
I get annoyed when… people I love and believe in betray me.
In 10 years’ time… I don’t know whether I will still be rowing. I might have a family and what I really hope to have is a good balance in life and do things I cannot do now because of lack of time.
My favourite food is… sweets and traditional pitta from my grandmother.
My favourite TV programme is… soccer.
My favourite book is… I don’t really have a favourite book. I prefer reading newspapers, especially about soccer.
My favourite website is… the one from the Olympiakos soccer team.
My favourite movie star is… Angelina Jolie.
I’m afraid of… death.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου