ATHLETE OF THE MONTH Yangjing Zhou

Yangjing Zhou

ATHLETE OF THE MONTH

Experience what is going on inside an elite athlete’s mind

Yangjing Zhou - March 2009

Nationality:China (CHN)
Boat Class: TA2x
Key Results: 2008 Paralympic Games - gold
World Rowing Championships: 7th
To view Yangjing's detailed results, click here.
Yangjing Zhou
Yangjing Zhou
Yangjing Zhou
Yangjing Zhou
Yangjing Zhou
Yangjing Zhou

16 March 2009

Yangjing Zhou made history with her crewmate Zilong Shang when they won rowing’s first Paralympic gold medal in the Trunk and Arms Only Double Sculls on their home waters in Beijing, China. Zhou describes to World Rowing readers what it is like to be a Paralympic rower in China.

WR: What is your feeling on having had the opportunity to compete at the Paralympic Games?
Yangjing Zhou:
To participate in the Paralympic Games had always been my dream. When I came to know the 2008 Paralympic Games would be held in Beijing, I kept trying to become involved and found the opportunity when I attended rowing.

WR: What was it like for your crew to participate in the first ever Paralympic Games and win the first ever Paralympic gold for rowing in your own country?
YZ:
Actually our goal was the top three. But when we entered the competition venue, we were greatly encouraged by the audience calling “Come on, China!” So I think this gold medal does not belong to us, but to all the Chinese who love our home country.

WR: What was the most important contributing factor that moved your crew from 7th in 2007 to Gold in 2008?
YZ:
The most important contributing factor is the “never give up” spirit. It is known that the athletes from Europe and USA are very competitive in rowing, but we think we can do it as well as them. Especially as the Games would be held in our own country, we would undoubtedly do our best to win.

WR: How have you seen adaptive rowing progress in China before and after the Paralympics?
YZ:
Before the 2008 Beijing Paralympic Games, if I told others I was a rower, people were puzzled how we (people with a disability) can row. But today people know more about rowing, including the difference between rowing, canoeing, kayak and canoe slalom.

WR: Your coach Xiaochun Liu coaches several rowers in Guangzhou – what is it like to train in this group?
YZ:
We have 8 rowers in our team coached by Liu Xiaochun and Li Kunyun. The coaches are very strict with us in training, that’s why every rower improves quickly, but we are good friends in daily life.

WR: How did you get started in rowing?
YZ:
I had been trying to take part in the Paralympic Games. When the rowing team introduced rowing to me and told me rowing had been included in the Paralympic Games, I knew I could not miss it.

WR: You did fencing before rowing and won national medals. Why did you change to rowing?
YZ:
There are many elite fencers nationwide; unfortunately I cannot participate in the Paralympic Games as a fencer. You know I was so thirsty for the Paralympic Games, it was rowing that gave me the chance.

WR: What aspect of rowing do you enjoy most?
YZ:
Tacit understanding and cooperation are the most important factors, which also enhance the friendship between the partner and me.

WR: Can you describe your disability in medical terms, what your Paralympic classification is?
YZ:
I am a right-leg amputee. My classification is TA [trunk and arms only], which means I can only take part in TA2x and LTA4+ events.

WR: What challenges do you or your team have to overcome as a result of your disabilities?
YZ:
We have to apply different training methods because of different disabilities. Take running for example, some use legs, some wheelchairs and some bicycles. We don’t need other facilities when rowing.

WR: What was the hardest thing about learning to row?
YZ:
Swimming, because you have to learn how to swim before you learn how to row.

WR: What kind of training/preparations did you do in the years leading up to Beijing?
YZ:
In the beginning, we only did some physical exercise. As the Games approached, we had more comprehensive training for six days and a half per week; the longest training time I remember was eight hours one day.

WR: Did you have people come support you in Beijing?
YZ:
They didn’t come to Beijing but we kept in touch. I received so many congratulating calls and messages after I won.

WR: How has rowing changed your life, or how has it enhanced your life?
YZ:
I have become more self-confident in everything I do.

WR: Anything else about your experience in rowing you’d like to share?
YZ:
Dreams can make miracles. If you struggle, you will succeed. No pain, no gain.

WR: Are you looking forward to London 2012, or do you have other plans now for sport?
YZ:
I will continue rowing if I am needed. One day if I cannot row I would like to be a coach, teaching more people with my technology and experience.

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου